Directorate of Government Analytical Labaratory
Government Analytical Laboratory is a Directorate under the Ministry of Internal Affairs that provides specialized analytical and Advisory services to Government Departments responsible for the administration of justice, statutory bodies and private sector, which is the engine of economic development of Uganda.
Linkage of Directorate of Government Analytical Laboratory (DGAL) to National Development Plan
DGAL is a strategic partner in Governments effort to ensure good governance and security as stipulated in the NDP. Objective 2 requires government to provide and ensure internal security through increased use of scientific evidence based investigations.
The Scientific investigations conducted by DGAL are important in the security and safety of the person and property.
In line with programme 2 of PMA; improving market access and value addition for sustainable agricultural development, DGAL:
• through supporting research and development is a key stakeholder in value addition on Ugandan agro-products and
• is a strategic stakeholder in supporting the monitoring and enforcement of quality assurance in value chain addition. DGAL provides reports and certificate of analysis for agro-chemical residues required for both domestic and export markets.
In line with Government strategy of achieving economic growth through a liberalized economy and the medium term competitiveness strategy(MTCS) of improving business environment to compete, to boost domestic economic activity and increase Uganda’s exports to the global market;
• DGAL is one of the main stakeholders in attainment of a secure and safe environment which is a key consideration in rating of foreign investment destination,
• Analytical reports and certificate of analysis are important in market penetration and competitiveness and
• DGAL provides expert evidence a pre-requisite in the administration of the commercial justice system to ensure a free and fair competitive environment.
DGAL is a strategic partner in enforcement of anticorruption measures as embodied in the National Strategy to Fight Corruption and Rebuild Ethics and Integrity in Uganda (2008-2013) by supporting cyber informatics, forensic investigation and provision of expert evidence in the judicial system.
To be a centre of excellence in the provision of scientific analytical, forensic and advisory services.
To safeguard people’s lives, property and environment as well as enhancing the country’s private sector competiveness through the provision of timely, reliable accessible and affordable scientific analytical, forensic and advisory services.
To provide specialized scientific analytical, advisory and referral services to foster administration of justice, private sector growth and ensure general public safety.
The Directorate of Government Analytical Laboratory is in its day to day operations guided by the following pieces of legislation;
i. The National Environment Act, CAP 153.
ii. Control of Agricultural Chemicals Act, CAP 29
iii. The Firearms Act, CAP 299.
v. The National Drug Policy and Authority Act, CAP 206
vi. The Evidence Act, CAP 6
vii. The Magistrate Act, CAP 16.
viii. The Standardization and Quality Policy
ix. The National Bureau of Stand Act, CAP 327
x. The Habitual Criminals (Preventive Detention) Act, CAP 118
xi. The Identifications of Offenders Act, CAP 119
xii. The explosives Act, CAP 298
xiii. The Court of Judicature Act, CAP 13
xiv. Adulteration of Produce Act, CAP 27
xv. The Uganda Revenue Authority Act, CAP 196
The Directorate currently has two Departments namely;
1. Quality and Chemical Verification and
1. Quality and Chemical Verification Department
The Department have the following Sections;
1. Pesticide Residue Laboratory
2. Water and Environment Safety
3. Food and Drug
4. Microbiology and Bioterrorism
• To provide micro-biological analysis of food, water and drugs
• To carry out forensic investigation in Food products, illicit drugs, pharmaceuticals, agro-chemicals, animal feeds and manufactured products.
• To identify and verify chemicals and biological war fare agents.
• To carry out statutory testing of water, food, drugs and environmental samples.
• To provide independent analysis for the purpose of arbitration and protection of Government revenue.
• To carry out forensic investigative analysis of water and environmental samples.
• To provide Advisory services to the public on the safe handling of chemicals.
• To carry out quality assurance testing of Food products, pharmaceuticals, agro-chemicals, animal feeds and manufactured products.
• To carry out pesticide residue analysis in vegetables, water and environmental samples